Hudson leads cricketers to Huddersfield victory

After persevering to a respectable total, York took apart Huddersfield’s batsmen with measured bowling that restores some pride to the squad after their Roses defeat

York 1sts Cricket team put on a solid showing in their first run of the season to beat a spirited Huddersfield team, despite the visitors getting the upper hand early on.

York won the toss and elected to bat, a decision that surprised some of the spectators as the wicket was still drying out, making it potentially difficult to score heavily in the early going. This scepticism seemed justified, with York failing to assert themselves in the early exchanges. The opening pair of Tom Hudson and Nick Vanner failed to settle in at the crease and Vanner was soon caught and bowled in the seventh over.

Mike Walsh coming in at number three was similarly unsettled and went in the twelfth over to a full length ball from Huddersfield’s Harrison, with York only having put 28 on the board.

Hudson and Townson soon fell to Huddersfield’s bowlers who were beginning to build momentum. Unfortunately for York, the Huddersfield bowlers continued to assert their rhythm, spearheaded by the consistent Davis. Two more wickets fell in quick succession, leaving the York squad staring down the barrel of another loss at 95-6 with only 18 overs remaining.

After the loss of Hilson for 29, York finally found the solid partnership they had been seeking to establish all match with Andrew Emmerson and the impressive Nick Hudson at the crease. Both batsmen scored well and displaying a wide variety of shots with boundaries being hit to all corners of the pitch. Hudson’s inspired effort eventually ended when Davis took his third wicket of the day to end the partnership at 93, Hudson finishing on 61.

Emmerson finished out the fifty overs, bringing the York total to 202-8, finishing on 43 not out. With a solid enough total, York set about bowling the Huddersfield team out, but were met with stiff resistance. Huddersfield’s opening partnership held York’s bowlers at bay in the early going, but Emmerson ended the partnership when Raja was bowled at 73-1 in the sixteenth.

After putting themselves firmly in the driving seat, Huddersfield suffered the most dramatic of batting collapses. In the space of twelve overs, Huddersfield lost a further six wickets for 29 runs. At 102-7 the game looked all but over, but Huddersfield began a renaissance at the crease with Amjad attempting to salvage a partnership out of the wreckage.

However, following the loss of Jolly at 155-9, the game was effectively over and Amjad soon fell at the hands of Captain Tom Hudson.

Despite an encouraging victory and some great individual performances, the fielding was inconsistent, with many catches dropped at important times. However, after the frustration of having two matches cancelled and losing by a single run at Roses, it took a lot of heart to bounce back and defeat a spirited initial Huddersfield performance.

1. What a rubbish review! “Vanner was soon bowled and caught”

A what now?