Closet couple disturb lecture in Langwith

A first-year History lecture was interrupted in Week Two after students became distracted by continual banging noises in an adjacent room.

Lecturing in L/N/028, History professor Guy Halsall found himself suddenly interrupted by the sounds of copulation emanating from a nearby cupboard.

Despite initially ignoring the distraction, Halsall was forced to admit the presence of some ‘horizontal causation’ in action nearby, and after judiciously knocking on the cupboard door, sucessfully managed to silence the passionate pair inside.

The identities of the clandestine lovers has yet to be discovered and the lecture was able to resume.

1. An example of ‘horizontal causation’ was I think what I said (a long story, it was a lecture on historical attitudes to time and causation)…

2. Maybe lecturers should stop thinking they are students by commenting on ‘student papers’. This was the dude that commented on that group about Dan Taylor as well during Easter and he does history. All that about balanced marking will go straight out the window. It’s all a bit unprofessional as are comments like the one above attempting to be in any way amusing.

On the story itself, what’s the betting it was DT and GFH at it in the cupboard?

3. I don’t see the problem here – lecturers are people too, and part of the university. Are they not allowed free speech then?

4. Maybe James Inghams should stop thinking they are clever by making stupid comments; in what way does Guy’s comment show him to be thinking he is a student? How is his comment in any way unprofessional? he is not trying to be funny (and would it be so wrong for a lecturer to have a sense of humour?!), instead he is merely clarifying the details in the article. you are insulting his professionalism by suggesting his marking would be unbalanced merely because he reads student papers and is on facebook.
    Get a grip.

5. His comments about DT on the facebook group were unprofessional to say the very least, made worst by the fact he does History too. A student should not be put in the position where module choices for example rest upon whether a member of staff ‘likes’ or ‘dislikes’ that particular student. He just seems to be cropping up rather a lot in student life. It’s not really a case of getting a grip. I just don’t agree with some of the stuff he wrote on a group wall about a student he may potentially be teaching. It was extremely unprofessional.

6. Um…Wow.

I didn’t see what he wrote on fbook, but I’m not sure it really matters, we’re not at school anymore, so I would hope that all of my lecturers have strong opinions, and if they don’t like me personally then so be it. It might well be mutual! Their ‘profession’ is having opinions and writing about them!

I would equally hope they are capable of making a separation between work and ‘pleasure’, and if they’re not, then that’s why marking is done name blind and why we have an appeals process.

To be honest it sounds like you’ve got an Issue with Prof Halsall that goes beyond any comments he’s made here or on facebook…

7. 14 May ’08 at 9:14 pm

John Shepherd

There’s nothing wrong with a tutor disliking a student. All the better, in fact – it provides fuel for debate. Any assessed work is anonymous, so it hardly matters.

8. Guy Halsall’s lectures are most splendid. They don’t need special effects like this to liven them up. They already have swords and lightsabres.

Seriously though, assessed work may appear anonymous, but it’s so flawed. Using the basic data which is up on the departmental student noticeboards for most of the year, and a careful noting of who your seminarees are and which exam numbers repeat themselves, it’s easily foiled.

I’m not saying any academics are out to get certain individuals, but suffice to say, it’s easy enough for them to do, and they’re clever enough to know how to do it.

Lecturers have always agreed and disagreed with students. It happens, and it does sometimes affect the mark you get. It’s no big deal though. If an essay deserves 70, you won’t get 40 for it.

Incidentally, I don’t see how non-students should be disallowed from thinking they can comment on student newspapers. It’s all the better if they do.

9. GOD YOU GUYS HE COMMENTED ON AN ARTICLE ABOUT HIMSELF HOW DARE HE WORDS WORDS WORDS

10. Personally, I have no problem with this. I did see the comment made about me on the group wall over Easter and yes, I thought it was perhaps innapropriate that a lecturer/tutor who may potantially teach me in the future in my study of history was making such comments. However this would in no way deter me from choosing a subject which Guy was taking- I think it’s all pretty spineless doing something like that.

James Ingham (whoever you are) I appreciate your defence but no worries. Incidentally, it was most certainly not me and Grace in the cupboard, to put that rumour to bed.