Scoreline fails to reflect York’s superiority

On a busy Saturday afternoon of rugby, York’s women’s 1sts comfortably defeated their Lancastrian counterparts, with the final score of 10-0 barely reflecting the dominance of the White Rose.

After the drama of the Men’s 2nds victory, the Women’s 1sts took to the Lancastrian turf buoyed by their victory in the Sevens the previous day, looking to cap a season of unprecedented success for the club.

After an even opening period, York gradually began to press Lancaster back into their own territory, retaining the ball for phase after phase without creating an opening.

This proved to be the blueprint for the match as a whole, with York having at least 80% of both the possession and territory, but lacking that cutting-edge to expose Lancaster’s frailties.

The sides went into half-time with the scores deadlocked at 0-0, despite the York pack, inspired by a women-of-match performance by second row Jenny Harvey, being held up over the Red Rose line twice.

After once again being held up over the line at the start of the 2nd half, York finally got some points on the board, from a penalty in front of the posts by scrum-half Emma Hodgson.

York mixed up their game to combat Lancaster’s disruptive rush defense, through kicking more balls long and trying to get their quicker runners around the outside of the rush, and the latter tactic paid off when wing Emma Cooper out-sprinted the cover defense to score the only try of the game late in the 2nd half.

The conversion was slotted by Hodgson, with the final whistle sounding not long after, sparking joyous scenes among the York girls and a rather bizarre post-match dance from Lancaster.