YORK WIN ROSES 2008

York have won the closest Roses Championship in recent history

York University has beaten Lancaster to win the 2008 Roses Competition and retain the Carter-James Trophy in one of the closest tournaments in recent memory.

With only two matches of the tournament left, York achieved a 124-112 lead over their rivals, giving them an unassailable position. Despite a string of results going against York when only 9 points were needed for the win, the cruicial threshold of 124 was reached after the vital 2 points were secured with a draw in the Men’s Hockey 1sts match.

Victorious York AU President Jo Carter said of the win: “I’m absolutely speechless, I feel so sick,” after jumping atop the throng of heroic Mens 1st Hockey players.

Carter, who has been quietly confident of victory throughout the weekend, had earlier stated that her entire tenure as AU President would be decided on this result.

While the travelling team are traditionally considered the underdogs, impressive performances across a range of sports helped York to repeat their away victory of 2002.

Strong performances in Tennis, Rugby, Badminton, Lacrosse and Hockey provided the backbone of the York victory, while the visitors achieved a clean sweep of all the points available for Snooker, Sailing and Golf.

Lancaster AU President James Marenghi, who was unable for comment, will now face a gunging following the trophy presentation.

This is York’s 22nd Roses victory, and means that they lead the overall standings by 22 tournaments to 21 for the first time in the history of the competition.

1. boltzy no1 York unis no1.
    Want to add skiing got a clean sweep.
    Get in York!!!

2. 5 May ’08 at 1:05 am

Boaz JL Eli Eli

Id also like to point out that Lacrosse did a clean sweep, taking 8 points overall. Any other year and it would have been 12 points but Lancaster couldn’t field a uni womens squad so instead invited thew alumni and STILL lost 8-2.

Well done to all.

Bo x

3. Go, York! I knew you could do it!

4. Thanks to the Nouse team for a fantastic coverage of Roses — sadly I was unable to enjoy it at the time, but have since read through the blog; re-living the highs and lows of the weekend.

What a weekend. Congratulations to all the York teams on an historic York away Roses victory. Sadly the traffic on the M62 last night means that we were unable to celebrate in style last night, but roll on Wednesday night.

5. 11 May ’08 at 10:27 am

Credit where its due . . .

Fencing also got a resounding clean sweep (losing only one of nine swords fenced over three teams), despite Lancaster having two GB fencers. We won ten points, making us one of (if not the) biggest contributors to the victory, although we get barely a mention and no match report as yet!