Day 2 Review

The day on which York took a commanding lead in the 44th Roses Competition

Lancaster 87-105 York

York’s sportsmen and women this evening stand on the cusp of the first Roses away coup in six years, requiring just nineteen more points from an available 54 on Sunday to confirm a famous victory. When this year’s tournament is reflected upon, it will be indisputable that Saturday’s marathon of sports provided the backbone of York’s anticipated victory, given the number of crucial points attained. The York sides achieved success today on the badminton and tennis courts, the football and lacrosse pitches, the snooker hall and on the dance floor on another enchanting Roses day.

The outdoor events were completed in glorious weather conditions, the indoor events played out before partisan and vociferous crowds as the nation’s largest inter-university challenge sparkled for its captive audience. York’s footballers battled their way to a considerable points haul in the competitive indoor football tournament, striking a considerable psychological blow in eager anticipation of tomorrow’s potentially influential outdoor matches. The tennis and badminton teams again demonstrated their on-court prowess, with some hugely professional and confident performances, while the fencing teams completed an impressive clean sweep of the spoils on offer.

The day’s widely anticipated rugby matches were played out before packed touchlines and while York emerged triumphant in keenly-fought Men’s Seconds and Women’s matches, the showpiece Men’s Firsts game finished 10-10 in dramatic circumstances. There would be disappointment also for the netball and water polo teams on day two, with weeks of preparation just insufficient to overcome determined Lancaster oppositions.

Sunday features another array of Roses action, with every point invaluable as York seek to defend their healthy 18-point advantage. The hockey and football fixtures are guaranteed to attract a fascinated following, although the basketball, table tennis and archery could possibly be the events where the points are gained which secure the success of this York conquest of their rivals.

Remember, nouse.co.uk will be covering every event once again throughout Sunday, from the first arrows of the archery to the relieved frivolity of the closing ceremonies – coverage commences at 9.30am.

1. Adam,
    The water-polo teams lost on Saturday largely due to a paucity of substitutes. Several players could not make the trip to Lancaster, and rolling substitutes are a vital part of such a physically demanding sport. In no way did the teams lose because of ‘insufficient preparation’, as you have unfairly assumed.