Badminton success brings up York’s century

A 6-3 triumph in the Men’s Badminton competition nudged York over the one hundred point barrier on the seond evening of Roses 2008

The York Roses challenge soared beyond the one hundred point mark with this comfortable victory in the Men’s Badminton competition, a 6-3 score achieved around the nucleus of an unbeaten performance from Paddy Clarke and Will Wiseman. They maintained their skill and composure to complete a whitewash over their Lancaster adversaries with a 21-13, 21-13 win in their final match and this despite the obvious energy expenditure of their first two fixtures. The opening contest for the pair went the full three-set distance, before York wrapped up a 10-21, 22-20, 21-16 comeback victory, while their second featured another tie-break to settle matters. Both Clarke and Wiseman showed cohesive teamwork to cover every angle of the court between them and combined this with great personal initiative in shot selection and speed when necessary, demonstrating an extensive repertoire of shots.

Elsewhere, Jonty Hiley and first team captain Rob Walker were an effective partnership, winning the two additional matches needed to cement the overall York win. The first required three sets, with scores of 21-18 and 16-21, prior to the Hiley-Walker duo cruising home 21-14 in the decisive set. They followed this up with an easier 21-11, 21-16 victory before sliding to a narrow reverse in their ultimate, irrelevant, rubber. The third pairing of Duy Hung and James Hor were without experience in doubles situations, but acquitted themselves expertly in their first match-up, emerging 21-19, 21-16 winners. However, their lack of knowledge of the intricacies of the doubles court became evident in the two ensuing defeats, although they proved insufficient to arrest Lancaster’s defeat.