York Women romp to squash victory

York cruised to victory, and a precious maximum four-point haul, with a 4-0 romp in the Women’s Squash competition on Friday afternoon. Victorious in all scheduled fixtures, the team enabled the overall tally to be narrowed further as the pivotal weekend programme approaches. Brimming with confidence entering the Roses Tournament, despite an indifferent BUSA League campaign, York showed tremendous class to overwhelm their opponents from Lancaster.

The most keenly contested encounter involved York’s Jess Hunter, who demonstrated admirable resolve to recover strongly from an mid-way deficit to record a 9-4,2-9,4-9,9-5,9-6 victory in an epic contest which lasted nearly an hour. Hunter displayed great on-court alertness to out-think her talented opponent, particularly during the critical fourth and fifth sets.

There was more straightforward progress for Johanna Augustus, who overcame Lancaster’s Stephanie Miles 9-3,9-2,9-0 with a performance of considerable ease. Meanwhile, Jenny Calder outclassed her nervy opponent, Sue Geoffrey, dropping only two points in the match. Calder demonstrated an impressive arsenal of shots, dominating the court from all areas and troubling her opponent with consistently powerful serving from the outset.

With the points already assured, there was little pressure on Caroline Watchurst in the fourth and final fixture and she responded with a determined 9-3,8-10,9-6,9-0 triumph. Her opponent created considerable problems during the middle half of the match, but Watchurst showed an impressive resolve to hold off the challenge, taking full advantage of her tiring opponent to ease home in the final set, neatly rounding off an excellent team display.