York outclassed in outdoor Ultimate Frisbee

This morning’s Ultimate Frisbee open match saw York run ragged by a much stronger Lancaster side, with a final score of 14 – 5. Despite convincing wins in yesterday’s indoor matches York were unable to compete in the open and fell in front of Lancaster’s superior speed and handling.

Lancaster rarely looked troubled in the first half, enjoying a commanding lead of 7 – 1 just before halftime. York managed to pull one back before the whistle only to concede again just before the break.

York looked rattled and frustrated as they left the pitch. Former Mixed captain Sally Cannon urged on a dejected looked side during the half time talk.

York were able to rally somewhat in the second half, looking more composed and better able to interrupt Lancaster’s play. A series of a strong set plays seem to restore York confidence and they hung in doggedly until the end of the game. Ulimately, the were unable to ever turn the tide and the score gap remained stark throughout.

Lancaster captain Ross “Woof” Champion was the clear man of the match, outpacing York’s fastest guards and calmly controlling the flow of his side’s play.

Despite the game being open to both sexes Lancaster declined to field any women, putting forward an all male-side. York return home tonight to host the Ultimate Frisbee nationals, which begins tomorrow morning.