Mens Squash team secure comfortable victory

With a commanding performance, York Men’s squash team ensured that another maximum of four points was gained in this afternoon’s Roses action, pushing the visiting team close to eclipsing the early Lancaster advantage in the overall situation. York wasted little time in establishing an unassailable 4-0 lead, with strong performances from each team member against plucky opposition.

The gutsy display from York’s Paul Atkinson in the opening match, clawing back a two-set deficit to snatch an epic victory, established the winning tone. Finding himself 7-9,6-9 in arrears early on against Lancaster captain Nick Daglish, Atkinson refused to be beaten, finding great reserves of inner-strength to dominate the remaining sets 9-2,9-0,9-1 and strike a resounding psychological blow. Meanwhile, Tom Davenhill produced a polished on-court exhibition to claim a straight-sets victory 9-4,9-0,9-3 and place York firmly into the ascendancy.

In the decisive match, James Birkhead edged a tense encounter 9-5,9-0,9-3, showing a strong selection of shots from all quarters of the court to fend off his spirited Lancaster foe. Afterwards, Laurie Swann defeated Lancaster AU President James Marenghi over four sets 9-5,9-4,4-9,9-3 with stamina proving the decisive factor in the vital fourth set. Later on, York’s Matt Twaddle was defeated heavily in straight sets, as Lancaster snatched a consolation victory, their first in squash of the afternoon.