Hockey points shared after dramatic games

The honours were evenly shared in the early evening’s indoor hockey action, with both Lancaster and York acquiring three points from the four fixtures completed, further fuelling the Roses tension which has seen the sides locked in a tussle of narrow margins on the first day.

In the centrepiece event, the York Men’s Firsts successfully repelled an energetic Lancaster fight-back to register a 3-2 victory. Combining strength in the attacking third, responsible for a first-half glut of three unanswered goals, and a heroic goalkeeping performance from Will Gilbault, York were good value for their points, despite permitting a nervy finale through the concession of two late strikes. Goals from Ed Watson and Rich Adelman set the tone, boosting York within the first five minutes in a match played out before a boisterous atmosphere. Adelman notched a third goal before the interval, but interventions from Alex Hall and Philip Schachk ensured a tense close, York holding out to record a welcome victory.

This provided the perfect psychological riposte given the preceding mauling for the Women’s Firsts, who were overwhelmed by an embarrassing twelve goal margin. Star player Ilka Krieger weighed in with a rapid three-goal burst and later turned provider for another two late on to cap an emphatic victory for Lancaster.

The Men’s Seconds were also involved in a close contest, winning 4-3, largely through the enormous influence of Rob Newton, who converted a penalty shot and then contributed a superb individual effort. Lancaster were particularly effective on the counter-attack, nullifying their opponent’s cohesive attack and remaining in touch for long periods, although without eventual reward. In the opening fixture of the day, a nippy Lancaster earned a 2-1 victory in the Women’s Seconds contest.