Day 1 Review

A summary of the day which saw York move from 16 points behind to find themselves neck-and-neck with Lancaster ahead of a cruicial second day

A Herculean team effort on the opening day of Roses 2008 has resurrected York’s aspirations of claiming a first victory on Lancaster territory in six years. Having entered Friday, the first full day of scheduled fixtures, trailing by a 20-6 margin following already completed events, the visitors have tipped the balance dramatically, scooping a remarkable 39 points to edge in front going into a pivotal Saturday’s action.

The biggest gains were achieved on the badminton and squash courts, the ski slopes and the golf course, with many dominant and determined performances from the York teams against their old adversaries. In addition, the rugby union sevens and hockey teams more than matched their opponents in fascinating clashes, played out before engrossed and passionate audiences, but there would be disappointment today for the cricket, ultimate Frisbee and darts teams who had crossed the Pennines in expectation of victory.

Saturday’s schedule promises more intrigue, with a remarkable 101 points available across a broad spectrum of sports throughout the day. Highlights include the men’s and women’s tennis singles tournaments (from midday), the crucial rugby matches featuring the women’s firsts (kick-off 2.00pm) and men’s firsts (kick-off 4.00pm), netball (from 1.30pm), fencing (2.30pm onwards) and badminton (7.00pm).

Once again, nouse.co.uk will be there for every kick, throw, bounce and serve, with rolling commentary from 9.30am.

1. The York skiers dominated the events today. 4 wins to 1 for both the first and the second teams taking the full 6 points available in the competition.
    The ladies team also won 2 races to 1 but unfortunately an inexperienced but enthusiastic snowboarding team lost 2 races to 1. Well done to everyone who raced and a big thanks to the huge numbers of supporters who traveled along with us.