Roses – Preview

The tension is mounting as York prepare to defend the Carter-James Trophy away at Lancaster, beginning on Friday

The annual Roses tournament is considered the sporting highlight of the year for many of York’s teams, and with the overall scores for the tournament tied at 21 -21, this year’s Roses tournament is as fascinating as ever.

The history of the competition dictates that the home side usually emerges victorious, but after a convincing victory over St John in the Varsity contest earlier this season, York will be looking to go against the grain and win away from home for the first time in six years.

Lancaster have built an early lead so far, gaining a 16 – 4 advantage with a strong performance in the rowing events that took place last weekend. The senior men’s four triumphed in their race, but York’s other crews were beaten by a more experienced Lancaster squad with better knowledge of the lines of the river.

York’s strength historically lies in the indoor sports such as Badminton, Volleyball and Basketball and they may be left to regret Lancaster not fielding a men’s Volleyball team, depriving York of a likely four points.

However, strong seasons from the men’s and women’s Rugby 1st teams and the men’s football 1sts, all of whom reached their respective BUSA knockout competitions, means that hopes will be high in the sports that are generally considered to be Lancaster strengths.

When asked about York’s chances in the much anticipated Rugby confrontation, AU President Jo Carter told Nouse: “I am going to stick my neck out and say that we have a very good chance of winning the rugby this year, both the men’s and women’s.”

Elsewhere, Hockey will be a key battle due to the large number of points riding on it, and if either University gains a significant advantage on the Astroturf it could be pivotal for the overall outcome.

With the BUSA standings putting York significantly ahead of Lancaster 73 – 35, hopes are high in the away camp that a rare victory can be achieved and that York can bring back the Carter-James trophy and lead overall for the first time since 1973.