Lancaster AU President excited for start of competition

James Marenghi, Lancaster’s AU President, is eager to get underway

Hello and welcome to Roses 2008!

Since running for election for my position, there is one thing that everyone seems to talk to me about. Every day that goes by someone will ask me how the preparation is going or the old favourite; “Will we win?” I won’t predict the result or claim that everything will run perfectly but what I can say is that for those of you new to Roses it is one of the most unique experiences of your life. It is the sporting elite of our two universities coming together to do battle in intense competition with effort, determination, rivalry and banter that will never be matched.

This year there are over 100 events competed in around 40 different sports. It is now the 44th year of competition with the universities still tied often due to the difficulty to win away. This trend would not happen without the continued efforts of all the teams and supporters from both sides who have been brilliant over the years and that make the event what it is. Hopefully this can be repeated this year in by our university and help spur on our athletes to bring the Carter-James Trophy back to Lancaster.

There have been so many people who have put in so much work throughout the event and I can’t name them all but they know who they are. Thanks go out to my Roses Exec, staff at LUSU, all the York Exec, the stewards and everyone who has helped with any of the booking or organisation of the event.

As you will see over the next few days, Roses is the biggest inter-varsity competition in the country and I hope that you all have as much fun being a part of it as I have organising it. Whether it rains or not I would urge everyone from both universities to come down to the sports fields, sports centre or other venues and cheer on sides that have prepared all year for this very moment. It is you that make this event what it is! Good luck to everyone involved and try to take as much away from the experience as possible!

James Marenghi – Lancaster University AU President