Metamorphosis scoops six awards at Drama Festival

Students from the Drama Society took six awards for their production of Metamorphosis at the National Student Drama Festival

Students from the University’s Drama Society won an unprecedented six awards for their production of Metamorphosis at the National Student Drama Festival.

The production won both the Best Ensemble award and the prestigious ‘Fest Goers’ Award, which was voted for by those present at the festival, which took place last month in Scarborough.

Alexander Wright, who directed the show, said: “All the hard work paid off in the end. To receive so many awards is absolutely unbelievable. We were performing alongside the best student drama in the country, so to be recognised from all that is out of this world.”

Wright received the Buzz Goodbody award for best director, while Jamie Wilkes picked up the Spotlight award for best actor. The Best Lighting Design Award was won by Fran Olley and Jethro Compton. The production involved 16 York students.

Wilkes, who is also chair of Drama Soc, starred as Gregor Samsa in the production. “The level of talent at the festival is incredible and then to be picked out as best actor is absolutely surreal. Just being at the festival made my year but our success has been out of this world,” he said.

Drama Soc also received an award for promoting student drama. “Although it was just one show that went to the festival, the standard at York is phenomenally high and these awards are a testament to that. It’s been amazing to end my term as Chair with such a high,” said Wilkes.

As reported by Nouse in February, Metamorphosis, which was originally written for performance by Steven Berkoff, was one of only 10 student productions selected to be showcased at the Festival, chosen from over 150 productions by theatre professionals. The eight performances of Metamorphosis were viewed by students, journalists and members of the drama industry.

The production, which was performed at the Drama Barn in week three of the spring term, was well-attended, and attracted good reviews. It was Wright’s second adaptation of a Berkoff play based upon a Franz Kafka work, following on from The Trial in the autumn of last year.

This is the third year that a York Drama Soc production has been invited to perform at the festival, following Stone Cold Dead Serious in 2007 and Gagarin Way in 2006.