York student qualifies as local magistrate

York student Adam Quigley has become one of the youngest magistrates in the UK.

Quigley, currently in his final year studying Management and IT, passed through a gruelling sixteen-month application process to gain his new position.
“I decided to apply because I wanted the magistracy to be more reflective of the community; there has been a real drive for younger magistrates to come forward and I hope to offer a different perspective to the Bench. It is essential to have a diverse range of people coming forward as ultimately, magistrates are supposed to be reflective of the community,” he added.

In his new role, Quigley will sit on a bench of three individuals present in court on cases of less serious criminal and civil matters. His magisterial duties will include decisions on guilt and appropriate punishment, requests for remand in custody and applications for bail.
Quigley admitted that his university experiences at York had helped equip him with the necessary skills to pursue his new venture: “Through my part time work and as Chair of a busy student society [LINKS – a student branch of St.John’s Ambulance], there has been tremendous opportunity for me to develop the skills of teamwork, leadership and communication – essential skills for any magistrate.”