The Blue Bell

If you like pickled eggs, you’ll like The Blue Bell. If you’re not fond of pickled eggs, but you like the idea of a pickled egg, then you’ll certainly be agreeable to a stint in The Blue Bell

Pub: The Blue Bell
Address: 53 Fossgate
Average Pickled Egg Price: 50 pence
Rating: * * *

If you like pickled eggs, you’ll like The Blue Bell. If you’re not fond of pickled eggs, but you like the idea of a pickled egg, or have a weakness for the sort of decorative imagery commonly associated with a jar of pickled eggs, then you’ll certainly be agreeable to a stint in The Blue Bell.

For a start, the draught bitters are numerous, charmingly regional and served at a good temperature which, contrary to popular opinion, should be chilled. With regards to its beers, then, and what might loosely be referred to as ‘crap on the walls’ (old pictures, faded photos, drinking memorabilia, etc), the Blue Bell plays host to the sort of variety you would expect from a pub that unflinchingly sells pickled eggs.

Nor were there raised eyebrows when, on entering, we lowered the average age by about a half-century. The other patrons were not, as you might expect, unfriendly and suspicious; they were harmless and, like all evening-time alcoholics, are sure to melt helplessly into the ambient furniture over the course of a few drinks.

Apart from the incongruous tapas menu, The Blue Bell succeeds at being itself in every detail, right down to the moderate brownness of my pickled egg – a brownness which, no doubt, hinted at my egg’s long-standing association with the pub.