Reel Big Fish

Artist: Reel Big Fish
Venue: The Corporation, Sheffield
Date: 22nd February 2008
Rating: * * * *

For a band that headlined the main tent at Reading and Leeds festival two years ago, it was surprising, surreal even, to find them playing in such a small venue. But support band Streetlight Manifesto put on such an impressive and tight show that they could very well have passed for the evening’s headline slot judging by the invigorated crowd’s response. Their set oozed flair and would have been outstanding, were it not for the disappointing sound quality.

When Reel Big Fish walked onto the stage in front of an already sweaty crowd, they did not exude the air of arrogance one might expect from a band at the top of their genre, but instead came across as personable, joking and flirting with the crowd. The set that followed was both long and exciting, opening with their popular hit ‘Sell Out’. Highlights from the rest of the set included ‘Beer’, ‘Cheer Up’, and their cover of A-Ha’s ‘Take on Me’. Aaron Barrett, frontman and only remaining founding member of the ska pop-punk band from Orange County, spent much of the show dancing around the stage. While the gig may not go down as the greatest live show in history, although it may well have been the sweatiest, it was certainly worth the trip to Sheffield, especially since the entrance ticket only cost £14.