Oxford women forfeit rugby encounter

The University of York Women’s Rugby 1sts marched on to the BUSA Plate quarter-finals with a comprehensive victory over Oxford 2nds. However, the result became unimportant when Oxford was forced to forfeit the game after being unable to replace an injured forward.

The tone was set very early on, with a simple scissor move in the backs releasing York centre Ruth Laybourn through a gaping hole in Oxford’s defence, only for her to drop the ball over the line. However, from the resulting scrum, Oxford’s clearing kick went straight to full-back Kath Stokes, who ran it back to score in the left corner.

Laybourn was lighting up the mostly scrappy match littered with knock-ons and scored two solo tries in quick succession to put York in the ascendency. It was then that Oxford were forced to concede the match. Rather than just stopping the game, the visitors asked for one of York’s subs, thereby forfeiting the match but continuing the game. The tone of the game barely changed however, and York scored another try to cruise into half-time 26-0 ahead. The second half brought more of the same from York, with tries coming thick and fast from both the dominant pack and the backs. It was fitting that Laybourn rounded off the contest with two more tries to give York a 52-0 victory.

Captain Kath Stokes admitted that they were “disappointed not to play against their full 15 for the whole match”, but claimed that it was “good practice for next week’s contest.” York now face Cheshire 1sts side in the quarter-final.