Little Campus, Big Mouth

The YUSU elections have been full of surprises, but what were you really looking for? We take to campus and ask what policies you want to see from the YUSU officers.

Name: Pippa Jones
College: Langwith
Year: Second
Subject: History

The main policies I’ve been looking out for have been ones involving the library and the academic side of university life. As a History student it’s difficult to get books out when they’re needed, which is a big problem, so I’d like to see policies addressing these sorts of academic issues. The Sports Centre is quite restrictive in what it offers. I definitely think the centre needs to be redone to provide better facilities and that there should be more sport related policies to attract people to college sports.

Name: James Menon
College: Vanbrugh
Year: First
Subject: History

I haven’t been following the campaigns to be honest, I don’t really get involved in student politics, but the one policy I’d be interested in seeing pushed is one on bridges and campus facilities. It would make my life and a lot of other students lives at university a lot easier if these things were fixed. At the end of the day the campaigners usually say they’re going to do one thing, then when given the opportunity, they do something else. There’s far too much student politics involved for me to take it seriously.

Name: Marieke Hampshire
College: Vanbrugh
Year: Second
Subject: Biology

I’ve been following the policies involving better facilities; trying to make sure that the old ones are upgraded even though we’re going to get new ones in the future. Policies on professional coaching is also something I’ve been following and sounds effective in improving the coaching of teams, however it may be a bit pricey. The eco-reps have brought forward interesting ideas about an environmentally sustainable Heslington East, but I think they need to address how the two campuses will link together.

Name: Hannah Jones
College: Vanbrugh
Year: Second
Subject: Management

I’m interested in Jamie Tyler’s polices because he’s thinking of scrapping the fact that the committee elects itself which will therefore make it more known around campus that you need to vote. Most of the candidates have been promoting the same ideas which shows that they’re addressing what matters most to students. It’s difficult therefore to distinguish between some of the candidates as their policies are so similar, and from going to the hustings they all seem to be promoting what’s best for students.