Campaign posters run the risk of heightening expectations

Now whether or not Nadz is Obama, Laura is certainly not Hillary, and I don’t really want to venture into guessing who the Mad Cap’n might be…

You can’t see out of the windows by Vanbrugh stalls for the posters. Large pieces of brightly coloured paper adorn every available surface. You come back from a lecture to discover 23 invitations to facebook campaign groups. It must be YUSU election time.

As the candidates tirelessly try to reach out to the YUSU-apathetic student body, small armies of campaign groups patrol campus looking for people to convert – and all for a maximum budget of £25 per-candidate. Given that regardless of the amount of enthusiasm you put in, you will not be able to be everywhere on campus at once (although I do pass people in pirate costumes with alarming regularity), the posters are one of the most important ways for candidates to campaign, with every available square inch of those YUSU election boards taken up with promises to re-open the bridges.

In a world where image is everything, the way you portray yourself on a poster may be of key importance, especially for the sabbatical posts. It is possible, therefore, to set the bar a little too high. This is especially true this year, with many people more concerned about viable promises rather than vote-winning sound bites.

So, for example, if you were to liken yourself to Barack Obama, and even to borrow his entire campaign message theme, it would possibly be advisable to ensure that you can live up to the expectations that will follow. Now whether or not Nadz is Obama, Laura is certainly not Hillary, and I don’t really want to venture into guessing who the Mad Cap’n might be, particularly since his campaign is currently on a swinging-ship style ride between the serious and the surreal.

Some alarming similarities have developed with the US elections, however. The Presidential debate, for a start. Also, opinion polls, currently polls or surveys are being carried out by Nouse, URY and apparently the Yorker has one in the pipeline, which should be interesting considering Nadz’s high position in said establishment. Fortunately though, no-one has started a smear campaign, although the mysterious disappearance of a large campaign banner from one of the Presidential camps has raised one or two questions. Still, there is a week to go for the hopefuls to persuade enough people to vote for them before voting closes this Friday, and with toilet campaigning now fair-game, there will be no escape from the mayhem until Saturday.

1. “Also, opinion polls, currently polls or surveys are being carried out by Nouse, URY and apparently the Yorker has one in the pipeline, which should be interesting considering Nadz’s high position in said establishment.”

…does that even make grammatical sense?