RAG suffers as Raid profits split with YUSU

Students at the RAG parade

Despite a record-breaking RAG Parade collection total of £3,500, RAG Week 2008 looks set to fall short of last year’s total after the profits of Viking Raid II were split between the organisation and YUSU. Last year, all profits from the bar crawl were donated to RAG.

YUSU Services and Finance Officer Matt Burton decided in consultation with RAG President Kyle McInnes that the precedent set by his predecessor Amy Woods would not be repeated this year.

Burton said: “It was intended from the start that the money would be split as it is a YUSU event, and we do run it as a fundraiser for ourselves. For this one, we run it during RAG week so that we can raise some money for RAG as well.”

The decision looks to have ended hopes to exceed the £16,000 raised last year. “I’m not going to say that we wouldn’t have wanted all the money. But I fully understand that YUSU have to have some share of the profits,” McInnes said.

Five charities will benefit from RAG funding. Local charities Yorkshire Cancer Res­earch, St Leo­nard’s Hospice and HCPT 58 will recieve money. Donations will also be made to national charity Macmillan Cancer Support and to the Ghanaian children’s organisation GLONA.