Jo Carter – AU President

Wednesday February 13: the fourth annual Varsity competition and a fourth York win. Four out of four, and yet still some people are not happy – the cynics claiming that Varsity is a waste of time. A scoreline of 55-16 isn’t close, but the White Rose Varsity is very much still a competition.

Admittedly, three 10-0 clean sweeps in the tennis and two 3-0 wins in the volleyball weren’t too hotly contested by St John, but so many of the fixtures that resulted in a York win could, on another day, have swung the other way.

Our netball first team beat their York St John counterparts 35-30 in a thrilling game. York St John first team netballers have just won their BUSA league, a league above our netball first team. Give Amy Smith and her girls some credit, it was a great result, although perhaps a little lost in the excitement of the day.

Equally, the Halifax netballers, masquerading for the day as our netball fourth team won in superb fashion against a team that compete in BUSA. They did themselves proud.

Continuing their great form this season, women’s hockey proved that they will not be completely outplayed in BUSA Div 2B next season, after clinging on for a 2-1 victory over a team that play in the league above them.

Men’s football 3rds scored a late winner and ladies’ badminton narrowly won.

If these results had swung in St John favour, suddenly a 39-point gulf is more like 10 points. The Ashman-Leslie trophy may not have made it to the other side of York yet, but the competition is not as easy as the scoreline may suggest. Give our guys some credit; there were some hard-fought victories out there.