York victorious in 6-a-side cricket encounter

York completed the last of many comfortable victories on Varsity day with a 4 wicket defeat of St John in the Men’s Indoor Cricket.

The match was a 6-a-side, 10 overs each encounter, with a variety of confusing scoring rules that left even the scorer unsure of the totals from both teams.

York won the toss and elected to bowl, but were quickly put under pressure as St John raced to 26-0 after only two overs.

The second over was particularly costly, and one of many to include a large number of extras, as the bowlers struggled to come to terms with the unfamiliar ball and wicket.

The introduction of the spin of captain, Hudson, put the brakes on the St John innings, and they collapsed to 49-4 after 6 overs. It was only some wild swings in the final over that got them to their total of 79-4.

York comfortably reached their target with 5 balls to spare, with the only danger being their slow run rate. Both openers Hudson and Vanner had to retire after passing 25, but Martin clinched victory with a cheeky sweep/scoop shot for the final result of Varsity Wednesday.