Women’s Volleyball 1sts – York 2-0 St John

A comprehensive victory for the York University women’s volleyball team provided the perfect start to the hectic Wednesday afternoon portion of Varsity 2008, as their York St. John opponents failed to assert themselves on proceedings. An early three-point haul was secured via a straight sets victory wrapped up within forty-five minutes by a 25-8, 25-10, 25-6 scoreline.

Home captain Charmain Heah shuffled the pack before the start, giving an opportunity to the squad’s fringe players in facing a York St. John outfit already defeated 3-0 in BUSA action back in October. After a slightly delayed start to the match, Varsity 2008 resumed with York University comfortably on the front foot through the powerful serving of Nicole Clabaugh and assisted by some communication breakdowns within the St. John side. As the first set progressed, St. John struggled to adapt to York’s organised net play and their resolve was drained by several individual errors, allowing the confident hosts to sweep to a quick-fire set triumph.

With minds slightly complacent after the bright start, York encountered greater resistance in the middle set, with the same problems over communication resurfacing within their own side. Some sloppy handling on the home side allowed St. John a brief respite, with the set delicately balanced until some outstanding serving from Lisa Breitschuh turned the tide completely in York’s favour. The home side showed their versatility, with all players showing skill in both attacking and defensive positions, ably assisted by Daria Stroukova and Anastasia Harunova who were introduced as replacements as the set proceeded.

Confident of victory, York showed a relaxed character to secure the third and decisive set by another convincing margin. From the resumption, they pressed quickly in search of the finishing line and a lively start saw the home side establish a 9-1 advantage. Captain Heah led by example with a dominant serving spell and, despite a brief St. John resurgence following a time-out, the accurate serving of Amanda Decarl wrapped up the victory, often aided by weak St. John defence. The result meant that York gained the first available points of the afternoon, nudging them into a 6-3 lead in the overall score.

York team: Charmain Heah (Captain), Maiko Vesaki, Lisa Breitschuh, Lucy Porter, Wdee Thienphrapa, Anastasia Harunova, Nicole Clabaugh, Daria Stroukova, Amanda Decarl, Elizabeth Thomas