A picture speaks more than a thousand words

Last edition, and Nouse launched their first ever joint photo competition. The results were judged independently and are printed here to showcase the power of the image. A further PhotoSoc exhibition will occur in Goodricke on December 9.

“I have been a photographer for a long time, and during this time I have been asked several times to look at other people’s work. So this time, I expected to trawl through holiday style snaps and ten images of the same cliche sunset, find a few good ones and a lot of dull ones. Fortunately, I was wrong. Not only were the images excellent, but it was also surprisingly hard to choose the top five. I changed my mind countless times, and the wide range of subject matter made it even harder. As a result, I have tried to preserve a variety in my final choice. Well done to everyone who entered for actually getting work into the competition (I always wait way too late) and remember the results are just my personal opinion on a Wednesday night, and if I had to do it again with the same images next week, I would probably choose a different top five.”

Simon MusgraveClick to view enlarge

1. Simon Musgrave’s ‘Lindisfarne Castle’, was taken on location in Northumbria. “This traditional style black and white landscape is well executed, and the excellent composition leads the eye from the foreground to the heart of the picture.” Musgrave used a Ilford Delta 400 and a Canon AV1 with a 50mm lense, and developed it himself.

Tony RobertsClick to view enlarge

2. Toby Roberts’s shot is of a school boy in Zomba, Malawi. “This is top quality reportage style with wondeful composition and evocative subject matter.” Roberts used a 3.2megapixel Nikon compact digital camera.

Terry LiClick to view enlarge

3. Terry Li’s picture was taken at night during Hong Kong’s mid-autumn festival, and captures a child staring at the candle in a Chinese lantern. “This is a very eye-catching image, and shows a beautiful use of colour.”

Matthew GrumClick to view enlarge

4. Matthew Grum’s self-portrait was taken in his back garden with a Canon 30D, a Vivitar 285HV flash behind the subject at half power and one camera left at quarter power. “This is a stunning image with very impressive lighting and exposure.” A bonfire provided the smoke.

Matthew GrumClick to view enlarge

5. Alex Pupushoy’s night photo was shot with an aperture of f/8 and a shutter speed of 15 seconds at ISO 100. It was taken with a tripod, and then converted into HDR. It is a photo of the building where Pizza Express is located, next to the bridge. “Wonderful time exposure with subtle colours and a wide range of points of interest.”