York beaten in bottom of table clash

Squash player

York’s 1st team lost a hard fought tie 3-2 against Durham 2nd team in BUSA League 2B on Wednesday.

York started well with first year Paul Atkinson picking up a swift win against Julian Le Witt. Atkinson’s speed and fluency around the court saw him dominate the match.

The fixture was tied when Durham’s Patrick McConvey defeated York’s Kamren Minal in the second pairing, despite Minal returning from a two game deficit to take the match to a fifth and final game, which he narrowly conceded with a score of 9-7.

In the first of the two simultaneous pairings, York number two James Burkhead was beaten convincingly by Sam Williams while York captain Tom Davenhill forced his tie against Tim Baker to a deciding game. This contest reflected the match as a whole, with Davenhill losing the fifth game 9-2 despite a hard fought performance.

This left York 3-1 down with the match between the two team’s top players inconsequential, although Matt Twaddle salvaged some pride with a convincing victory.

After the match, York captain Tom Davenhill described the great difficulties his team have faced this season. “We’ve had to deal with the loss of the top six players from last year and gained Paul as the only fresher, so yes it has been tough.”

Davenhill was unassuming in explaining the loss. “I think my tie turned the game,” he said humbly. “At the end it was a question of fitness, and Durham had more”. The loss leaves York still without a win this year and languishing in the league.