Sexual health awareness at York

YUSU Academic and Welfare Officer Grace Fletcher-Hall, outlined plans for a ‘Sexual Health And Guidance’ (SHAG) week in week 8.
The week aims to educate students of the dangers of unsafe sex and motivate students to get tested for sexually transmitted diseases. 90% of STD’s are treatable and YUSU are keen to emphasise the importance of getting tested.

Chlamydia is one of the most common STD’s with statistics showing that as many as 1 in 10 students are carrying the infection. There are no symptoms, but if left untreated it can result in infertility. YUSU urge students to take a test even if they believe they are unlikely to have it.

Women’s Officer Laura Payne said: “It is so easy to be tested, the bag contains everything you need and you can drop it off at a bin at the medical centre which is completely anonymous. The peace of mind of knowing that you’re clear or able to be treated surely makes the effort of the test worthwhile.”

According to the Family Planning Association, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, genital warts and herpes are the most prevalent STIs among men and women aged 16-24.

YUSU is also actively supporting an NUS sexual health petition aimed at improving waiting times for sexual health tests in the York and Selby area.

The government have pledged that by 2008 anyone who asks for an appointment at a sexual health clinic will get one within 48 hours.