Senior rowers win division at York Small Boats

Rowing team

In the first head race of the season, York University’s rowers performed above expectations in both the senior and novice categories of York Small Boats to launch their campaign for the coming season.

Going into the time trials, the weather was less than ideal with bitter cold and rain hampering the squads. Despite this, many teams had strong races with few collisions considering the volume of boats on the water. All York squads managed to complete their races without any time penalties added, a feat in itself considering the hazards associated with the conditions.

The senior men’s 3rd coxed four were the pick of the York teams, completing the three kilometre course in 11 minutes and eight seconds. This was enough to win them the sweep oar division and see them placed fourth overall, the only teams ahead of them both rowing in quads without a Cox.

Senior men’s captain Finbarr Bevan commented on the team’s performance after the race: ‘We’re really pleased with the way the squad has progressed so far this season and especially happy with today’s result considering the conditions.’

The novice women’s coxed four also made a strong start to their season’s campaign with a performance that was considered by novice captain Rebecca Jayne Dobinson to be “on par with senior level time”. The captain added: “The girls had a really strong first three quarters of the race; we’ve got a good squad.” Their time was 15 minutes and 22 seconds, placing them 34 spots above the bottom of the rankings.

A notable absence from the trials were the novice men’s squad who were unable to compete due to difficulties in attaining a boat. The novice men’s captain told Nouse: “We are disappointed to not have been racing but the guys have been training hard and we are progressing well”.

Of 270 entries in various categories ranging from sculls to fours, the senior women’s 3rd coxed four recorded a time of 13 minutes and seven seconds – putting them in the top half of the overall table. Also, the senior men’s 4th coxed four managed 11 minutes and 46 seconds – placing them 26th – comfortably in the top 30.