Farrell’s finishing touch hands City crucial win

Farsley Celtic 1-4 York City

York City gave their Conference campaign a timely boost with a crucial 4-1 victory at Farsley Celtic on Sunday evening.

After the 6-0 F.A Cup drubbing of Rushall Olympic last week, the Minstermen seem to be finally finding their form with a crushing victory at fellow strugglers Farsley.

The 1,603 packed into the Throstle’s Nest were treated to a pre-match Fireworks display – but it wasn’t until the closing stages when York found their own explosive form, when substitute striker Craig Farrell netted a couple of sparklers to secure three vital points.

The visitors, surely motivated by the presence of Setanta Sports’ television cameras, got off to a positive start and could have taken the lead as early as the third minute, but Onome Sodje’s effort drifted wide. However, the travelling fans didn’t have to wait long for the breakthrough as York City’s early pressure paid off on eight minutes thanks to Daniel McBreen’s neat finish.

A good spell from the home side followed but City soon settled and doubled their advantage on 23 minutes. McBreen turned provider with the assist, finding Paul Brayson in the penalty-box and the versatile forward bundled the ball home thanks, largely, to Carl Seldon’s inability to clear the ball from his own line.

However, just as York looked set to enjoy a rout on a bitterly cold North Leeds evening, Farsley hit back superbly and got themselves right back into contention within six minutes. After stringing together a few good moves,
Roy Stamer unleashed a superb 20-yard effort that dragged Farsley right back into the contest.

The goal acted as a wake-up goal for York who dominated the closing stages of the half and remained in control after the interval. However, supporters were made to wait late on in the game before seeing their side wrap up the
points. Billy McEwan introduced Farrell from the bench and the 24-year-old, hat-trick hero last week against Rushall, soon finished off the resilient Celtic side.

The former Leeds forward re-opened York’s two-goal advantage on 81 minutes as he latched onto a loose pass before firing an impressive effort beyond the outstretched Evans. He then put the result beyond any doubt
thanks to a fine finish with just three minutes left on the clock; leaving the shaky home backline stunned.

With both teams struggling at the wrong end of the table, this was a crucial victory for York who are finally starting to show some of the form that took them to the brink of promotion last season. They will now go into
Saturday’s F.A Cup clash full of confidence and a victory against Havant & Waterlooville will certainly be expected.

Attendance – 1,603

Farsley Celtic: Morgan; Downes, Crossley, Serrant, Pearson (McNiven 83);
Watson (Whitman 61), Iqbal, Billy, Stamer (Grant 73); Bambrook, Reeves.
Substitutes Not Used: Jackson, Allanson

York City: Evans; Craddock, Kelly, McGurk, Robinson; Brayson (Wroe 69),
Elliott, Panther, Woolford (Farrell 64); Sodje (Brodie 86), McBreen.
Substitutes Not Used: Mimms, Parslow