York among world’s top 100 universities

The University of York is ranked among the world’s top 100 universities, according to a new set of rankings published today.

The University is ranked 74th in the QS – Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) rankings, a climb of 50 places since last year. The league ranks the leading 500 of the world’s 40,000 Universities.

The University’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Brian Cantor said: “This independent evaluation is a reflection of the consistently high standard of our teaching and the quality of our research. York is one of the youngest universities in the top 100. To achieve this standing in just 44 years is remarkable.”

York shares its spot at 74 with Emory University in the United States. It is placed one position above St. Andrews University.

Harvard University maintained its position at the top of the league with the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford coming second and third, respectively. British universities were well represented in the table with 16 institutions featuring in the top 100. The top of the table continued to be dominated by American universities with 12 of the top 20 institutions in the United States.

1. 9 Nov ’07 at 4:56 am

Kelly (aka that crazy American)

That is so cool, Jenny! I wonder if Oxy placed…

2. well that is great for york. as an alumni of york ( a fine uni i might add), i think such evidence displays our achievement in becoming the top players in the UK for research and reputation. Look out Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol and Durham, it shows you dont need to be elitist and sloaney to recieve a good grade score.