Student on bridge in security incident

Security fears were raised when a male third-year student climbed on top of the Goodricke and Vanbrugh Bridge and refused to come down

Security fears were raised in the early hours of the morning on Saturday October 14, when a male third-year student climbed on top of the Goodricke and Vanbrugh Bridge and refused to come down.

The man refused to be coaxed down by security staff or fellow students, and repeatedly shouted abuse at passers by. He was heard to say to one mature student: “How old are you mate? I bet that your mum is dead. You shouldn’t be here”. Eventually, the student was dragged down by two passers by. It is unclear why he decided to climb on top of the bridge.
The first man, a signaller in the army, put his foot on the rail, stood up and grabbed the student by his shirt, while another man, a York student, grabbed his leg and pulled him down.
The student then fell and was caught by the second man and restrained after a struggle, before being handed over to security staff. The soldier later said: “I don’t know why he was up there, but it was clear he wouldn’t have been able to get out of the lake if he had of fallen in. I just wanted to get home, the security just wanted to get home but we couldn’t have left the obviously disturbed young lad up there, so me and my mate decided to sort it out.”.

The student has been reported to his tutors and now faces disciplinary procedures.