YUSU announces plans for ‘Campus Wednesday’ event

YUSU have announced plans for the creation of a “Campus Wednesday” event designed to provide attractive drinks offers and bar variety in order to encourage students to drink on campus.

The proposal, backed by the University and College JCRCs, hopes to revive the fortunes of flagging campus bars.

Although specifics have yet to be decided, the plan is likely to include six of the campus bars with different drinks offers at each. Students will carry around a ‘ticket’ that will be stamped at each bar. On reaching the last bar, students will get a free drink.

Offers and opening hours will also aim to attract sports teams to come to Halifax for food and drink after matches.

YUSU Services and Finance Officer Amy Woods said she hoped the project would “literally change drinking on campus”. Woods added that after research into the drinking habits of students YUSU found that “one of the main things that detracts people from staying on campus is the lack of variety”. She said Campus Wednesday would offer a range of different drinks offers across bars.

Woods admitted that Campus Wednesday could be “make or break” the continued survival of campus bars, the profits of which fell again this year.

Chris Colyer