Goodricke close in on college title after Sports Day victory

GOODRICKE INCREASED their lead over Halifax at the top of the college league table on June 13 after comfortably winning the annual Sports Day by a 16 point margin.

In less than ideal conditions, the inter-college events started with Ultimate Frisbee on the JLD Astroturf. After a close set of preliminary rounds, Derwent fought off Goodricke to claim the points and an early lead in proceedings.

However, the setback didn’t prevent the top-of-the-table team from coming first in a further nine events during the course of the day to be crowned Sports Day champions.
Victories for Goodricke in the 4x100m relay, long jump and tug-of-war provided some of the day’s highlights, while their closest rivals Halifax failed to produce the title-winning form required of them.

In the men’s long jump, Oliver Regan of Vanbrugh produced a mammoth 5.5m jump which was unmatched by every other competitor, most of whom managed jumps around the 4m mark.

Meanwhile, in the men’s 100m, Goodricke sprinter Pieter Cordwell gave a stellar performance in both his heat and the final, crossing the line in 11.59 seconds. “I tend not to think of anything when running – I simply keep 100% of my concentration on the track ahead,” Cordwell said.

Another impressive individual performance in the Goodricke camp came from Rob McGuinness, whose 11.9m throw in the shotput was enough for him to take victory away from Vanbrugh.

Meanwhile, Halifax struggled to gain any momentum and were relegated to second place in the majority of events. Victories in the women’s long jump and the men’s 800m and 400m races was their solitary consolation, with their women’s 400m and men’s 100m performances being paticularly disappointing.

Goodricke played with an unparalleled level of concentration and were undoubtedly the most serious about the day of the colleges. They had set teams, college t-shirts and even a barrel of water bottles. Some colleges had such a level of disorganisation that an event would be five minutes from starting and passers by were being asked to compete.

Speaking after the result had been confirmed, Goodricke Sports Rep William Goldring said his College was “delighted” with the result. “We were pleased with most of the team events, coming second in frisbee and enjoying good results in the relays and a fantastic victory by our tug-of-war team. The only disappointment here was the volleyball,” he said.

Meanwhile, Halifax remained upbeat after the day. Sports Rep Nikki Hayden said, “We knew Goodricke would be very strong competition on Sports Day but I’m really happy, this is the highest Halifax have ever come. We had a lot of people drop out due to illness and exams at the very last minute, but we still had a great turn-out of athletes ”

Both Derwent and Vanbrugh ended the day sharing the mid-table positions as expected.
Derwent excelled in Ultimate Frisbee and the 200m men’s race. Anton Murphy posted a time of 25.19 seconds, over a second ahead of Goodricke’s Neal Smith.

Vanbrugh, who came only two points behind Derwent, enjoyed relative success in the volleyball tournament, only to lose in the final to Halifax. The 4x100m men’s relay also gave Vanbrugh maximum points as they beat Goodricke, Halifax and Derwent in the final.

The most disappointing performance of the day had to come from Langwith, who fell below Alcuin in the table, ending second from bottom with 50 points. “I’m neither happy or disappointed with our performance,” Langwith College Rep Lucy Newton said after the results were announced. She added, “There were only a few points between the mid positions, so it was a close run and maybe we had a few bad calls. However, I am very proud of everyone who turned up.”

1. “GOODRICKE INCREASED their lead over Halifax at the top of the college league table”

Pretty sure they were never in front of Halifax, as the tables have always had Halifax ahead. And Halifax had more runners in the 100m final than the other colleges, so wouldn’t call it disappointing!

2. Dave, I think you’ll find that Goodricke had as many runners in the 100m final as Halifax had.

3. so thats still not disappointing for halifax is it?