Gaskill celebrates impressive season

YORK WOMEN’S Basketball team are celebrating a season of “great improvement” after coming runners-up in the BUSA Plate and completing a clean sweep in the Varsity and Roses competitions.

After convincing victories against both Liverpool John Moores and Teeside University in the early rounds of the BUSA competition, York lost in the final against an excellent London St. Mary’s side.

2006-07 Women’s Captain Nicki Gaskill said, “This year, we have really pulled together as a team and everyone has worked really hard. Even in games where it looked like we didn’t have much chance of victory, we didn’t lose focus.”

Meanwhile, the Men’s team had a “disappointing season”, said President Ronan Joyce struggling to reproduce the form of the past two seasons. In the BUSA division, they did not win a single game and were relegated.

Incoming Men’s Captain Conor Douglas said, “What we have to keep in mind is that we were the Team of the Year in both 2004/5 and 2005/6. We desperately want to be back in the 1st Division. Next year is about doing everything in our power to make that a reality.”