Pirates of the Caribbean: At world’s end

★★★☆☆

Director: Gore Verbinski
Starring: Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley
Runtime: 168 min

The third rendition of this swashbuckling trilogy sees Elizabeth (Knightley), Will (Orlando Bloom), Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) and the usual motley crew attempt to rescue Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) from Davey Jones’ Locker at the end of the world. Oceanic adventures ensue, with the pirates hotly pursued by the power-hungry Lord Beckett (Tom Hollander), who holds control over the betentacled Davey Jones (Bill Nighy). In response, Barbosa calls a meeting of the Pirate Brethren, a collection of captains from around the globe, and the fate of Piratekind is decided.

At World’s End sees the return of all the major characters from the first two films and several more, including Chow Yun-Fat as Sao Feng, Captain of Singapore’s pirate army, accounting for the oriental flavour in both script and costume. Johnny Depp gives another great comic performance, and a cheeky appearance from Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards is an amusing addition.

At World’s End is good fun, with the well-established witty script and one-liners, although it is slightly more gruesome than previous installments. It isn’t over-burdened with action scenes, featuring only two major sequences (though one does last nearly half an hour), which allows the story to flow nicely and makes this instalment better than the second.
However, it spans nearly three hours, and watching it without a toilet break is no mean feat. It also drags a little in the middle, and the battle of evil against not-so-evil, with the main characters attempting to double cross each other throughout, makes the plot be tough to follow at times. Get past this, however, and the film won’t disappoint. The final action sequence is fantastic, with stunning visual effects. This is one blockbuster series that lives up to its reputation.