Exhibition: Spring Show

venue: king’s manor
date: 10/03/07-17/05/07

If you missed Heather Niven and Rosalind Walker in Langwith College’s Norman Rea Gallery earlier this year, you may well be pleased to know that the pair will continue to exhibit in York. They have recently left their beautiful hamlet of Kirkham Abbey in North Yorkshire to exhibit at King’s Manor in Exhibition Square.

Having previously been inspired by the natural environment and stained glass, the pair are currently experimenting with acrylic, oils and pastels for a multi-layered effect. Niven’s upbringing in the Scottish highlands is reflected in the spiritual quality of her work, while the fiery colour of Walker’s artwork exudes an explosive energy conveying the late stages of autumn. Niven’s subjective figurative work explores textures and layers through more elemental forms. Her underlying layers of paint, glue and wood heighten the contours of each figure.

If you enjoy abstract expressionism, both artists celebrate the diversity of humanity through their use of rich surface texture and vibrant colours. Walker’s impression of space and the physical world actually embellishes nature. Instead of attempting to imitate nature, Niven conveys a subjective impression of her conception of space, often achieved through vertical forms. Together, the diverse compositions displayed by both artists allow you to immerse yourself in an immeasurable, timeless world.