The Weekend

ROSES IS the one event of the University calendar where the whole of campus unite to cheer on their side. As the largest inter-university competition in the country, covering 107 sporting fixtures within a 4 day period, Roses has a special ability of creating a sense of pride in a University that we all inhabit.

To be victorious as well as proud is quite an experience, and the performances offered by the Squash, Badminton and Women’s Rowing teams were nothing short of sensational. However, for some this week there will be a feeling of emptiness and disappointment at a performance that never really got started.

Despite Lancaster AU President Dave Greenshields promising to bring the Carter-James trophy back from York and across the border for the first time since 1985, the prediction never looked like becoming true, as Lancaster failed to lead at any stage in the competition.

A brilliant first day from York saw them take a monumental lead into the weekend, and one that would prove to be too great for Lancaster to fully come to terms with.

Despite expecting victorious performances in the field events such as Hockey and Football and the Rowing Regatta, Rugby was the only sport that truly proved fruitful for the Lancastrians as they tried wilfully to fight back the tide of points.

A mid-Saturday fight back provided brief hope for the away team, but York seemed to have too much confidence and ability in the majority of the sports for Lancaster’s dogged determination and boisterous crowds to cope with, meaning the tie was never in doubt.

An obvious cause for the lower levels of performances by the Lancastrians may be due to their sleeping and living conditions, but that’s obviously the price you pay as the away side, and something which Lancaster should perhaps cope with better than they have in recent times.

Yet, despite the onesided nature of the weekend there were numerous inspiring performances from either side and we have provided in-depth coverage of the weekend’s highlights. Content ranges from the conventional sports of cricket, football and rugby to the more unique events such as archery and equestrian. We hope you enjoy it.