BNP officer verbally abuses students

Several University of York students have allegedly been targeted and threatened by a British National Party official amidst concerns about increasing BNP activity in York.

Kate Challender, chair of anti-fascism society Unity, and Ogtay Huseyni, chair of the Islamic Society, have both alleged they were photographed and threatened by Ian Dawson, the York-based BNP National Group Support Officer, who told them their photographs would be placed on the far-right website Redwatch, which has a a history of incitement to violence. Huseyni has also alleged that Dawson told him to “get out of my f***ing country” as he distributed anti-BNP leafleting by students in Acomb on Saturday January 20. Challender said of the incident, “Whilst giving out anti-BNP leaflets in Acomb – exercising the right to freedom of speech which the BNP claim to defend – we were photographed by Dawson and told that our photos would be appearing on Redwatch. There is no place in Britain for any party that relies on tactics of intimidation.”

Huseyni said: “Being verbally abused doesn’t make you feel good, but I’m not going to get out of this country because of a few nutcases.” He added: “It’s because I’m a Muslim. If I didn’t have a beard, he wouldn’t have said anything. It’s because I’m outwardly showing my religion”. Anti-BNP campaigners have been leafleting in response to increased BNP activity in the run-up to the local council elections in May. The BNP have leafleted the whole of Hull Road, and Acomb Wards and hold a regular stall in Acomb.

BNP leaflets have called for the burqa to be banned and immigration from Muslim countries to be halted. Ben Drake, head of the York Unite Against Fascism city branch, said “I suspect they are targeting Hull Road because the mosque is nearby, but if they think people in the area have got a problem with the mosque, they are mistaken.” He added that Hull Road Ward has a large student population and that the BNP is anti-student: “They are a fascist party and as such they view students as enemies”.

YUSU Racial Equality Officers Caren Onanda and Bukky Ojo have condemned the BNP, saying “It’s obviously a threat that the BNP have been campaigning in York.” Of the comments allegedly made by Dawson to Huseyni, they said: “This type of behaviour will not be tolerated by the SU, which takes discrimination against students on any grounds very seriously.” Nouse attempted to contact Dawson, but received no response. However, BNP National Press Officer Phil Edwards said “I shouldn’t have thought he’d say that. Ian Dawson is a good lad.”

Edwards criticised student anti-BNP campaigners, saying “Most of them are brainwashed. Some people are born like that – many of them are actually alien people to Britain”. Edwards denied the BNP was a racist party, but said “Islam is a threat to Britain” and compared YUSU officials to the “totalitarian Marxists of the Soviet Union”.

1. Boring Boring, lead up to elections and the bull_hit starts. I am not a BNP member, however I will be voting for them in May.

The British public are no longer fooled by your silly stories, the media been telling pokies for to long now, we know the truth.

Report

2. What has it got to do with anybody who Simone Clarke votes for, or belongs to.

The real enemies of democracy are the people who would deny other peoples beliefs. So shut up and get on with your life, trouble is in this country we have to many jobs-worth’s sticking there nose in where it does not belong.

Believe me as a ex soldier I will take up arms to protect democracy, and at this time that means fighting the liberal wets who are killing democracy.

If the BNP are gaining in numbers, then it is obvious to all but politicians that something is wrong. Unfortunately politicians have not got the balls to sort out the issue of immigration, they have screwed it up, they are responsible for the rise of the BNP.

Report

3. C Mason. What exactly is bull **** in this story? Where are the lies? Please tell me.

Report

4. Where is the evidence? Please tell me.

Report

5. I suspect that this is not THE Nick Griffin. If it is, Nouse REALLY are breaking the YUSU no platform policy and should be deratified accordingly.

Report

6. Anti-BNPers brainwashed, eh? Well. I’m not for or against anything, but I do find it interesting that a member of a group which is clearly only capable of regurgitating archaic fundamentalist views is accusing anyone else of being brainwashed.

Report

7. To C. Mason: A lot of people will agree with you about the fibbing nature of the media. Many though, will point the finger at newspapers like the Daily Mail who notoriously take a strong anti-immigration stance. To do this, they often use ‘evidence’ which is merely extreme rightist opinions twisted into ‘truth’ via unrepresentative statistics. I enjoy a good standard of life, and personally would consider it wrong to deny this to an immigrant who wishes to work in England to enjoy that privilege, whether he is joined by 9 people or 9 million people. The population of the UK is only predicted to rise by 5 million or so in the next 25 years, after which it may start declining. With an ageing population, the time will come where the government will be begging young, promising foreigners to work in our country. Before voting for the BNP, you would do well to consider how accurate the material you have read is, and whether voting for the BNP could have negative consequences for you in future. Somebody will have to run the care homes when you’re old. It may well be immigrant nurses. It has already happened in Italy and it will here. Get used to it.

Report

8. C. Mason:
    It seems to me to be a bit hypocritical that you would willingly “take up arms to protect democracy”, yet vote for a party that advocates the reintroduction of compulsory national service and the denal of some civil rights, including the right to vote, to those who refuse. http://www.bnp.org.uk/candidates2005/manifesto/manf16.htm

This is just one of many examples where the BNP – despite their best efforts – as shown for what they really are.

I can also assure both you and ‘Nick Griffin’ that myself, Ogtay and several other students HAVE been photographed in Acomb by Ian Dawson on more than one occasion, and as the article says, informed that these would subsequently be posted on Redwatch.

Report

9. Ian Dawson would not threaten anyone, it’s bad for PR, this story is clearly a lie. Vote BNP!!!!

Report

10. I am a student and being from a university with a large number of international students who are all very bright people and have worked hard to get here and pay their way, I have no problem with this. And if they want to stay here after their degrees and benifit our country with their specialist knowledge then good for the country,
    However what i do have a problem with are the enormous numbers of immigrants coming over here, Taking housing, jobs,using our health service, having no respect for our laws or way of life. And the muslims who are trying to impose their beliefs and laws on us and always moaning about things offending them but us british people cannot say a word without being called rasist. Muslims seem to be able to offend us in any way they and nobody cares to do anything about it. This offends me very much. I am definately not a rasist. I will be friends with people from any country or religion as long as they intergrate and respect us, i am sick of all this political correctness and anti bnp rubbish when they are the only political party doing anything about what really matters. The BNP have my vote and i Know of many many others who feel just like i do.

Report

11. And as a reply to kate who commented on the comment from the ex-soildier.
    Where is the respect and gratitude for what our soildiers are having to do because of this current government. I have heard stories that back home they cant even wear their uniforms on the streets in some parts of the country for fear of attacks by muslim gangs.
    And as for national service, i think something like that is needed to put an end to this hoodie chav, violent binge drinking culture that is also plaguing this country. These disrespectful and selfish people need to be taught respect and discipline, what better way to to it than national service, scools dont seem to be allowed to discipline kids anymore

Report

12. 9 Mar ’07 at 8:46 am

John Russell

Clearly opinions vary.If we’re discussing any political issue,most of us are confident that we can put over our views and hold our own.When you encounter the ‘We hold the moral high-ground/No platform’ mob,you may well feel that here lies a big fat lie that is being embargoed and placed beyond question,to prevent debate.We’re good enough
    to pay taxes,and there’s a lot of talk about freedom of speech and democratic rights,as long as we don’t want to exercise them.

Report

13. Re poster ‘St george’,I don’t know the details of this incident.On the one hand the BNP will attract some extremist elements,as do all parties.But they also attract malicious allegations and state prosecutions.It’s not for me to tell anyone how to vote,but you can’t miss the way that their opponents won’t argue with them but only malign and try to suppress.If you favour immigration,you’ve got 3 parties to vote for.If you oppose it,why shouldn’t you have 1 to vote for?I’m not a member of BNP,but I am concerned about the effects of immigration,and I can never again vote for any of the 3 old parties.I respect that some people have genuine concerns about the rise of the BNP.Sadly they don’t seem to have repect for my concerns about the mess in my country.

Report

14. I honestly belive your not telling the truth! i went to school with Ian and he is a very nice and always pleasent even to the ethnic kids there. Dont worry Ian dont take it personnel they are just BNPist.

Report

15. 3 May ’07 at 11:33 am

Domomic Streatham

I’m inclined to agree with Nicks comments. The BNP will gain support and will grow as long as the mainstream parties bow down to the fear of being branded a racist factor.
    The king has got no clothes! Many many British citizens are not happy to see the influx of foreigners who have no loyalty or allegiance to our country, our history or heritage, they are simply free loaders. Norman Tebit once gave the analogy of the Pakistan v England cricket match. If you’re English you support England! The problem we have in this country is minorities get given the world, but the mainstream honest hardworking British tax payer gets shafted again and again. If you object you’re branded a racist. There is resentment and anger, people feel the frustration because you can’t speak out without being branded racist, and all the time your country is changing before your eyes but can’t stop it.
    The great Irony of course is that we Brits are the laughing stock of the globe, we hold high our liberal tolerant society as a placard of pride and offer these people more
    freedom and opportunity than they would ever have in their own countries and then allow them to dictate to us how we must change our society to accommodate them! Would the Saudi’s be as accommodating, or the Pakistani’s if we wanted night clubs and bars and a few churches constructed in these countries.
    Finally we hear talk of moderate Muslims that’s a fine oxymoron! Name me one country across the globe with an Islamic regime that is moderate? which doesn’t have human rights issues or the subjugation of women, and so on. Hypocrisy, double standards hands tied, and we’re racist! It’s time a political party stood up and told it like it is because England this beloved isle is being transformed into an ‘otherness’ the likes of which our forebears would not recognize.

Report

16. (vomits)

Think I’ve just been sick…

By focusing on the racist side of things, and by focusing on the BNP’s stance against racism, you’re conveniently forgetting that there are born and bred British citizens (ie myself) who in the BNP’s ideal society would become second-rate unwanted citizens simply because we aren’t ‘normal’. In other words, there’s no place for the disabled or homosexual in an ideal BNP-run society.

BNP = Good for the British people? My arse.

Report