York Netball 1sts superb show gives hope for 2007 Varsity tournament

York 1sts 50
Teeside 2nds 12

WITH THE Varsity tournament fast approaching, this week’s BUSA matches provided a vital opportunity for all three of the University’s three netball squads to secure not only league points but more importantly confidence.

Having witnessed the York University second team beat their York St John counterparts with only a narrow margin; the Firsts needed to capitalise on their game against Teeside Seconds. First team captain Amy Smith’s rousing pre-match talk summed up the feeling within the club by saying “we’re ready for this.” This match would surely serve as a warm up before next week’s grudge match.

The first quarter was characterised by tight-marking and cohesive ball movement across the full breadth of the court. Several interceptions and a comprehensive reading of the game allowed an excellent pass from centre to goal shooter, which Mary Hunt converted to open the score sheet. Player-to-player pressure from York forced Teeside to make mistakes on and off the ball and their shooting proved to be below par. Great utility of space on court allowed Hunt to increase York’s lead at a steady rate and her partnership with Sarah Pycroft worked well against the Teeside defence, allowing numerous opportunities to be created.

Teeside were down 12 goals to 1 as the second quarter opened and the visitors started with off par mistakes. York’s superior athleticism and team communication meant that space was continuously created and opportunities seized.

Both York’s defence and attack showed commitment and focus, and even though Teeside’s keeper let her frustration get the better of her, Hunt did not allow it to affect her concentration in ensuring that they took the lead to 17-3 by this point.

The third quarter opened 23-5 and proved to be a showcasing of York’s close marking especially a great interception by wing defence Katie Brunskill. York’s goals continued to fly in whilst the Teeside net stayed empty. This must have aggravated the visitors as they attempted to play under protest, after contesting both umpires. With the final score coming in at 50-12 it is clear that York were in the ascendancy, contested umpires or not. Such a convincing score means that the netball team go into this week’s Varsity tournament brimming with confidence.

Team Lineup:
GS: Mary Hunt, GA: Sarah Pycroft & Chaz Blythe, WA: Clare Shaw & Laura Longworth, C: Amy Smith, WD Katie Brunskill, GD: Hannah Martin & Katie Cowper-Johnson, GK: Tess Smith

Player of the Match:
Laura Longworth.
Passed the ball well and dictated the flow of play throughout the game

1. Fab article i was wondering is laura longworth by any chance related to a robina longworth? i was just wondering as i havn’t spoken to robina in a while and seeing lauras name got me wondering. once again great article.

2. 14 Oct ’07 at 1:11 pm

laura longworth

Hi! I don’t know who you are but yes I am related to Robina, she’s my sister! Laura