Signal Failure, Leeds Brudnell Social Club, 15/2/07

★★★★★

On the 15 February, iLiKETRAiNS, the brilliant Leeds post rock band and caps lock mavericks, host a night showcasing their favourite new bands from around Britain. Although a performance by the band itself is unlikely, with a hand picked line-up let’s just say chances are you won’t be disapointed

On the 15 February, iLiKETRAiNS, the brilliant Leeds post rock band and caps lock mavericks, host a night showcasing their favourite new bands from around Britain. Although a performance by the band itself is unlikely, with a hand picked line-up let’s just say chances are you won’t be disapointed.

First on the bill are Maps, a curious mixture of post-rock ambience and lo-fi production, with three sought-after singles released so far to much acclaim. The Early Years, on the other hand, offer a purer and gentler, but just as varied, sound, with carefully orchestrated psychedelic guitars, droney drums and swirling synths. Their self-titled debut was released back in September to a very warm reception from the music press.

However, the main draw of the night will be the new band: Troubles. Despite sharing four of the same members as the now defunct Hope Of the States, the newbies have a fairly different sound. Godspeed-like soundscapes dominate and the slightly questionable singing talent of Sam Herlihy is thankfully absent. On top of all this is a DJ set by Ulrich Schnauss, assorted short films and chess. How could anyone say no to that?

With tickets at just £6, and a pleasingly hefty railcard discount, no self-respecting post-rock fan should miss this.