Clap your hands say yeah! Manchester Academy, 2/2/07

★★★★☆

Before the Arctic Monkeys and Lily Allen, there was Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! Whilst the former acts found sudden fame and fortune on the digital gravy train, CYHSY contented themselves with mild industry recognition, and built on their own talent and the strengths of those websites championing their initially self-released debut album

Before the Arctic Monkeys and Lily Allen, there was Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! Whilst the former acts found sudden fame and fortune on the digital gravy train, CYHSY contented themselves with mild industry recognition, and built on their own talent and the strengths of those websites championing their initially self-released debut album. A year and a half later, it appears their turn has finally come.

Much of their hotly anticipated set is unfamiliar, but is far from unrecognisable. The second song of the evening, the new single ‘Satan Said Dance’, will surely become a quirky classic to rival the group’s earlier work. The performance is brought to life by an astounding vocal performance: shrill, nasal cries accompanied by constantly convulsing limbs which skip, trip and kick their way through the set.

The unmistakable favourites ‘The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth’ and ‘In This Home On Ice’ are met with bouts of crowd-surfing and general pandemonium. As the band retreat to the still-pulsating sonic effects of the previous song, it is difficult to recall an encore more enthusiastically requested or ecstatically received.