Caesar’s, Goodramgate

★☆☆☆☆

Ave. food price: £8
Ave. drink price: £3
Address: 27 Goodramgate, York, YO1 7LF

My friends and I ended up in Caesar’s Italian Restaurant last Saturday lunch time. I had adventurously suggested Caesar’s as an alternative to my usual trusted favourite, La Piazza. An unwise decision on my part, it soon emerged.

A bad impression was established the moment we walked into the restaurant. An open canteen-style kitchen towards the back of the dining room revealed a plethora of bored-looking chefs, who regarded our arrival into their domain with the disdainful expressions of people for whom, clearly, the customer is never right.

The waiter too was one of those charmless individuals whose service provision consisted of alternately ignoring and leering at us for the duration of the meal. At one point, I asked for tap water and was met with a long-suffering glare followed by the failure of said tap water to arrive until we were well into the main course.

The food arrived suspiciously quickly (I’m sure I heard the ‘ding’ of a microwave as it emerged) and my tortellini alla calabresi was bland and sorely overpriced. In short: bad atmosphere, poor service and distinctly average food. I would implore you to save your money and go to La Piazza.