AU Edge: With AU President Tom Moore

FOR SUCH a small institution, York usually does relatively well in the BUSA tables and this year is no exception. Last Wednesday saw the end of the season and I’d just like to say well done to the mens first-teams in the tennis, badminton, fencing and hockey.

This list is could also include mens volleyball 1sts and mens football 1sts if mathematics and the weather are on our side.

All these teams have reached the knockout stages of the BUSA tournaments, with the hockey and tennis teams coming top of their respective leagues.

Tomorrow sees the Varsity competition hit our campus for the third year. Varsity sees us take on our local rivals York St. John in almost 30 fixtures and cumulates in an award presentation in Toffs.

For an up to date timetable of the Varsity fixtures, please see our website at www.yusu.org/au. Highlights have got to include the football fixtures, with both the mens and womens fixtures taking place from 1.00pm on the 22 acres. The netball fixtures also start at 1:00 in the tent and hockey will be going on all afternoon on the Astroturf. Varsity comes into its third year with its stature continuing to grow. Certain people may try and demean the event; rightly, perhaps, arguing that it sits in the shadow of Roses, but the fact remains that it brings a day full of fixtures that our teams take tremendously seriously. It is an important and large event in its own right. It is only because Roses is such a huge event (the largest in the country) that Varsity seems small. It is in fact comparable to a large number of other varsity competitions around the north. I hope to see you all down around the sports facilities on Wednesday, and I certainly hope to see you in Toffs – the ceremony starts at 8pm and will easily be finished by 10pm.

Other things that might take your interest… The Patches O’Houlihan trophy will once again be up for grabs as the AU dodgeball competition returns in week 9. To enter a team come to the AU office to sign up. The karting club is also organising a charity race in week 9. Entry is just £20 per person. More information can be found on the website.
Good luck to all the teams competing tomorrow.