York Hockey club enjoy term success

This week, the hockey club furthered the club’s growing status on campus by cementing a clean sweep of wins in BUSA matches.

It was a tireless effort for all four teams involved, but special mention must go to their women’s second 11 for the formidable 6 -0 victory. In the men’s first team, a 3 – 1 victory over Sheffield allowed them to stretch the lead in their BUSA table, can they be stopped? It has however been not as successful within the Yorkshire league. Defeat and a draw last weekend showed us that some lapses in concentration and scrappy play will be punished, however these problems have been rectified and on Saturday, the first eleven played some outstanding hockey and got back to their winning ways, and as a result progressed up the table. It is an honour to be involved in a club that has been winning so frequently, and what is even better, hockey now seems to be getting the positive exposure it deserves, long may it continue.

Perhaps the best evidence for this has been the ladies hockey team. So far this season they have proven themselves to be fiery competitors. In the Wednesday match against the current leaders of BUSA, Newcastle University, York showed their worth. Despite incurring many injuries during the match, one involving the defender Gemma Cheney who had to be taken to hospital for stitches, the team pulled together and played well as a unit. The 1-1 draw was a good result. Missing their skillful and strong defender in the weekend match, the Ladies XI’s still managed to put in another excellent performance, finding the back of the goal six times. Anne Coleman and Lucy Horrel got two goals each and Jamie Unsworth and Lindsey Walker scored one each.

Scoring had previously proven to be tricky for the York team but the coaching from Pete Bartlet has helped the team in their performance. Finding a hole in the York press is proving a tricky business for the opposing team thanks to its strong defence. The Canadian medic; Andrea Pisesky, the blonde Dutch; Marieke Hampshire and the third Year Brit; Lindsey Walker, were the players of the week. Yet what is refreshing in this sprightly team is the ability of all of the players and how well they play together. The oncoming Saturday sees York play Leeds Uni who are notoriously dirty players. Fingers crossed that no more visits to hospital will occur and that Gemma Cheney makes a speedy recovery!

Match Pictures:

Hockey, York vs Newcastle, Nov '06

Hockey, York vs Newcastle, Nov '06

Hockey, York vs Newcastle, Nov '06

York vs Newcastle, Nov 22nd '06