What’s on in December

Other Side Comedy Club
Every Sunday, 7.30 for 8.00 start
City Screen Basement Bar
Acts including Steve Day, Dan Atkinson and Silky’s Christmas Baubles.
Entry: £8 or £7 in advance, student discount available

Madama Butterfly
Sunday 3rd, 7.30
Grand Opera House, York
Tickets priced between £23.00 and £35.50

What the Dickens 2
Wednesday 6th, 7.30
National Centre for Early Music
Tickets: £8.00 (concession)
Beyond the Barricade at Christmas
Thursday 7th, 7.30
Grand Opera House, York
Tickets: £8.00

Russell Brand
Saturday 9th-Sunday 10th, 8.00
Grand Opera House, York
Tickets: £14.50

Aladdin
From Thursday 14th, 7.00
Grand Opera House, York
Tickets from £7.00

Cinderella
From Thursday 14th, 7.30
York Theatre Royal
Tickets from £10

Spotlight on…

The Spoken Word, 7.30 – 9pm, every first Tuesday at the Exhibition Hotel, and ‘Third Thursday’ at Starbucks in Borders.

“We stayed at home to write, to consolidate our outstretched selves”. Whilst Sylvia Plath apparently stayed in of an evening, here in York you have the opportunity to share your thoughts and ideas at two open poetry and prose nights held on the first Tuesday and third Thursday of each month. Budding writers with short stories, poetry or even songs to share can meet in a relaxed, receptive atmosphere – either to perform their pieces or to be part of the audience.

Rose Drew, who runs the evenings, is a vibrant and encouraging host with an obvious passion for words. The tone of the night is controlled by the speakers and often it is not only works that are shared, but ideas, opinions and, in Rose’s case, fiery political views.

‘Third Thursday’ is held every month at Starbucks in Borders, on Davygate, and is aimed specifically at university and secondary school students, although numbers have turned out to be unexpectedly low. The busier night at Exhibition Hotel, Bootham, guarantees a more impressive turnout and variety of performances. The Thursday meeting is not being held in December (due to some obscure religious holiday), but I urge any aspiring writers to have a coffee and step up to the mic in the new year.