Villa Italia, 69-71 Micklegate

★★★★☆

Pieces of the Italian legacy lay dormant in every person’s mind. The history lessons of an earlier eruption are now seasoned in a thick ash, preserving a taste of youth. Today, legions have turned to legend. This age of an army, epoch of empire and realm of the Romans is now remembered in their vast cultural influence across Europe.

★★★★☆

Sadly, this country’s cuisine does not offer the same breadth. At Villa Italia the menu is changed twice yearly. This biannual budge sees the passing of pizza to the coming of circular shaped dough, topped with the cheese of a different goat. As all Italian restaurants offer the same Corinthian pillars of pasta, baths of bolognese sauce and Julius Caesar salads, this restaurant shows one crucial distinction: quality. Of the eight, almost, identical menus around York, Villa Italia boasts the finest ingredients and most agreeable ambience. As operatic whines fermented in my ears, I selected the Soave from an impressive list. As for food, try the stuffed red peppers to start or the funghi mamma mia (mushrooms with white wine, cream, garlic and cheese). For mains there are risottos, pastas, pizzas, fish and meat dishes. The price reflects the quality, so maybe one to save until you get paid!