Rich Croker: SU President

When deciding what area of life to cover in this edition’s comments, I had just watched Cloud 9 – a superb performance by some of York’s Writing and Performance students. The play explores a range of issues that are still present in our society now, such as gender, sexuality and race. You could be forgiven for thinking I was going to go into a piece on gender, race or imperialism, but I’m not. For this article, what the play itself is about is irrelevant. That I went to see it instead of going to Toffs or Vanbrugh bar isn’t.

The winter cold tells us that the summer and freshers’ buzz is over and everyone has started to begin the weekly routine again every Monday. The end of term is approaching and money is tight; the Sunday morning after Club D is a bigger struggle than it was eight weeks ago.
So what now? Why not try to break the student stereotype and do something that won’t cost you a fortune or leave you with a mouth like the badger’s proverbial in the morning? Why not try something that doesn’t involve spending half your student loan on a few snakebites and double vodka red bulls?

Take Drama Soc for example. With a different performance running every week of term, there is little doubt that something should catch your eye. Whether it is a mind-engaging play or some light humour, there’s something to cater for all tastes. Indeed, if you fancy a couple of hours of playful banter that will leave you with tears in your eyes, the YUSU Comedy nights in Wentworth could be for you.

Or why not do what everyone always means to do, but never gets round to doing and go to see a speaker put on by a society or attend a debate. Maybe even go one step further and debate yourself. All of these opportunities are available through the huge array of societies YUSU offers.

If you fancy taking some time away from campus then why not check out the ‘The Ice Factor’ ice rink next to Clifford’s tower. They also serve superb cookies in the rink-side cafe! What could be better? Or maybe take in some real York heritage and take a tour of the Minster, which is free with student ID. Alternatively, if you fancy meeting the bracing winter air head on, then take a walk with Outdoor Soc and enjoy a tasty pub lunch along the way (the accompanying pint of real ale is optional, of course!).

I guess what I’m trying to say is that next time you’re wondering what to do on an evening when the money’s tight and you don’t feel like the same old, take a look around the poster boards and see what else is going on around you that you never even realised. There will always be something on – it is just up to you to find it!