Tenacious football 1sts hang on to maintain winning run

York University 3
Teeside University 2

AFTER A HUGELY disappointing season last year, with just a single victory and relegation from the BUSA Mens 3B Northern Conference, the York Mens 1st XI came into a new season hoping to banish those miserable memories.

So far this year, they have gone a long way towards doing just that. The season began with an impressive 4-1 victory over Teesside 2nd XI. A disappointing 2-0 reverse against Newcastle 2nd XI followed, but since then York have produced a string of impressive performances and, consequently, the results have followed. Most impressive of these was a 2-1 victory over Manchester 1sts in the Northern Universities League. This was followed by a 6-2 thrashing of city rivals York St. John 3rds in the BUSA league and a 2-1 victory over Newcastle 1sts. Despite a defeat to Leeds 2nds, another victory over St John, this time a 1-0 win over their 2nd team meant that York came into this fixture against Teesside 2nd XI full of confidence that their good run of form could continue.

Overall, York produced a professional footballing performance, taking into consideration the miserable weather conditions, to see off Teesside Mens 2nds 3-2, a result which Teesside will be quietly relieved about, having been pegged back in their own half for long periods of the game. Despite the flow of the game being jolted at times, largely due to the persistent rain and blustery winds, York did enough to record their sixth win of the season, allowing them to continue the rich vein of form they now find themselves in.

This is a record captain Dan Brown is keen to continue : “I’m really pleased with the way things are going for us, but it’s important we don’t rest on our laurels and push on between now and the end of the season.”

Despite a slow start to the game, Teesside’s first meaningful attack resulted in them taking a 1-0 lead after a slashed clearance from Martin Daubney fell at the feet of a Teesside attacker. York re-appeared unscathed and made much of the first half, with Dan Brown, Dominic O’Shea and Pardeep Singh flashing shots wide of Teesside’s goal before Henry Smith netted the equaliser after a sweeping four-man move which fully deserved its outcome.

The half-time break seemed to alter little in the game’s make-up, as York continued to dominate the possession afterwards, with Teesside happy to sit deep and aim to exploit any possible counter-attacking opportunities. Hence it was no surprise when York took the lead, albeit in controversial circumstances, from a quickly taken free-kick from Pardeep Singh, which nestled in the

left-hand side of the goal as the Teesside players were still organising their wall. Whilst the Teessiders were evidently aggrieved with the manner in which the goal came, the scoreline was no more than York merited after a wave of chances, with both Andy Ridell’s cut into the box and shot, and Henry Smith’s grasscutter minutes before both narrowly missing the target.

However, York gifted Teesside a backdoor entry into the game once more when Daubney misjudged the bounce of the ball in an unforgiving position in the 69th minute, and Teesside were on hand to capitalise on the generous offering. Although it would have been easy at this stage for heads to drop, York rallied and got their reward when Henry Smith flashed a cross into the box which Tom Moore, a 2nd half substitute, was on hand to convert.

There was no third reprieve for Teesside, and York hung on for a crucial win in a week when it was important for footballing matters to resume centre stage after the docking of points they suffered in the last week.

If the point reduction is lifted, an outcome York will certainly hope for once their appeal is lodged, the players will certainly be holding legitimate aspirations for a league winners’ medals come the end of the season.

York were hoping for more success on Saturday when they came up against Hull 1st XI, but the game was postponed owing to waterlogged conditions.

Match Photos:

York vs Teeside, Nov22nd '06

York vs Teeside, Nov22nd '06

York vs Teeside, Nov22nd '06

Football 1sts Autumn Term:
Busu Men’s Leauge 4B

Current standings York 1sts Results
1. Leeds 2nds 6 15    a Teeside 4-1
2. Newcastle 2nds 6 13     h Newcastle 0-2
3. York 1sts 6 12    a St John 3 6-2
4. St John 3rds 6 9     a Leeds 2-1
5. Teeside 2nds 6 3     h St John 2 1-0
6. St John 2nds 6 1    h Teeside 3-2