Cafe Concerto, 21 High Petergate

★★★★★

By day a delightful little cafe and by night an exclusive and beautiful restaurant, Cafe Concerto truly has it all. Situated right outside the Minster, I discovered this gem in my first term at York and have not been able to stay away since, despite frequent complaints from my tutors who maintain that ‘having coffee’ is not a mitigating circumstance for skipping seminars. For lunch the range of baguettes, wraps, salads, croissants and bagels is so wide and delectable-looking that if Calista Flockhart was resident in York she’d be back on the carbs.

I defy anyone not to find something they like. Personally, the chicken, smoked cheddar and red onion marmalade baguette gets me every time. Served with a small salad and just the right amount of homemade dressing, this lunch is worth any time you might have to wait to get a seat in this extremely popular place. Desserts are also fabulous. Like the rest of the food here, they are homemade and you can definitely tell. The gooey chocolate cake is worth sacrificing your first born child for, and the portion sizes are suitably generous. You may leave feeling extremely indulgent and possibly slightly overfed but Cafe Concerto is not to be missed. A truly wonderful location with delicious homemade food.