AU Edge: With AU President Tom Moore

As I sit here trying to think of things to write that might interest you more than your course books, I have to admit, I’m struggling.

I absolutely love this job, but I appreciate that a lot of what I do would be very boring to read about. I do, however, sit on various University committees. The one and only one that’s vaguely interesting is the group that discusses the new Heslington East campus.

It is very widely recognised that York University punches above its weight in the BUSA rankings (other institutions of our size come well below us in the table). This is why the new development is so exciting. It will double the number of students that study here and bring with it state-of- the-art facilities.

At the moment, the University are aiming to build a top-quality gym, numerous grass pitches (one with a small stand), indoor tennis courts, squash courts, a badminton hall, sports hall, a rubber crumb pitch and a water-based hockey pitch. As well as a 50 metre swimming pool. Now, you’re probably sitting there thinking this will never happen, but I am very optimistic that it will. The University has started to realise that sports facilities have a major impact on an institution’s reputation. This improvement in facilities and increase in numbers should allow us to climb the BUSA rankings and allow York to compete with the established sporting universities. Although planning permission has still not been granted, we are all hoping that the new facilities will be in place by 2010, soon enough for next year’s freshers to benefit from the improvements.

Other news that may interest you is the AU race night. This event is on this Saturday in Derwent bar. Tickets cost £3 from the AU office, and you can then exchange your ticket on the door for 10 AU pounds. You then bet on races and win the prizes. Prizes so far include VIP tickets, cinema tickets, bar tabs, free meals, and champagne. Oh, and all the money goes to charity.

If you find yourself free on Wednesday afternoon, then go along and support some of our teams. Highlights of this week’s fixtures include the Badminton Men’s 1sts v. Durham 1sts (1.00 main hall), Netball 2nds v. St. Johns 3rds (1.00 in Tent), and the Basketball Men’s 1sts v. Manchester 1sts (4.00 main hall).